I like the pro/con format so it prevents me from only focusing on the negative.
A review of Steam Whistle Alley by Joshua Mason. Tl;dr: 4 stars out of 5. This is a YMMV novel because so many things it gets right and wrong will sway how you feel about it, depending on personal preferences.
- Detailed World.
- Character driven.
- Likable cast.
- Fun and more personal story than many of the LoTR style books out there in the genre.
- Game mechanics are light, (intentionally so, may be pro or con depending on your flavor.).
- Bad guys are not believable, either in motivation or how they go about everything.
- Serious legal issues would be raised by this game.
- Final goal is a plot trope that’s not one of my favorites.
- Cliffhanger ending.